Wednesday, October 12, 2011

This everlasting season

The hot kettle squeals
In the kitchen, in the spring.
Your smile, my hope,
Across the way, looms
Brilliantly in my view
Like the pleasant hope
In the sky, on a night
Lived like a daydream.

I never hoped or knew of
Any of that. The spring,
With its buds and lively
Branches, animated in green
Were the call to become
For me. I was to be more
Than the seasons passed,
Other short springs, mostly
The long winters of my home,
Or scalding summers therein.

But you smile even in the
Dark, even when I'm blinded,
Because you know I feel it,
Love it, like the fresh caress
Of new growth.

We can lay ourselves down
In fields of grass with
Wine and picnics, flowers
And naive hope, because
Without it we will never
Make it through.

Without it, darling,
Without your smile,
Cultivated from the power
Of the sun, we cannot live
in this everlasting season.

No comments:

Post a Comment