Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I don't know if you recall

I don't know if you recall
Me on one knee
Or the way I looked looking up,
And I can't say for certain
What I looked like either -
I am, after all, me, the same
Man that was down on one knee,
Seeing out these same eyes,
Stumbling out this same mouth,
And clinging to your same hand
Like a begging, vulnerable child.

Distant now, yes, probably just a
Memory, but
I am still him, so much
The same joy that illumined
My crooked soul is shining
There now, right now
Writing, and desperately, like
The struggling poor, the
Men on knees yearning for God,
I'm clawing through words
Just to save you, say to you,
That I am selfish for loving you.

Berating, yes, even that is
Impossible without life support,
And you are the scaffolding
Of this sinking Venetian villa,
So old with idealism and not
Enough anchor, which leads me
To sink like one.

I was down below you looking up,
Calling up, a regular Romeo
High on an impulse, telling you
"Jump! Just jump! And I swear
We can float,
Give your burdens to me and
I'll hand my sandbags to you
And because they are
No longer our own, they will
Weigh nothing and we will
Float, weightless."








I still believe that. I am
Such the naive soul I was,
No bitterness or anger, confusion,
Yes, but only the kind on
The verge of winter, as it ebbs
Into spring. To let go
Of the cold and just
Live and love, grow.
But beautiful tomorrow's only
Last so long and you're
Gone with the breeze,
With its hands reaching
Out and pulling away before
The sounds are heard and
The little bird you came
Quickly to find is flying
Scared as can be.

So while I wait on
My tentative hope, there
Is never so much the idea
That you're ever coming back,
Where the only thing I possess
Is that you may begin to
Remember my face, my smile,
That day, my lips, my nose,
The way I kneeled before you
In the proud hope that I'd reap
The glories of this self-centered
Desire. There's no unconditional
Here, only holes needing filling,
Drawing from my mind, but
It doesn't ever seem to affect
That I am me. I am certainly
Me. Don't ever forget,
Do you hear me? I bowed
Before you to give myself,
And now I can't remember
Your face, so remember mine.
Yes, I lied; I am bitter.
I probably was then. But now
I have nothing more to say.
Remember my heart,
My body may change, but
I'll be damned
If I'm not burned into your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment