Friday, July 29, 2011

Today is the last day

Today is the last day
Another last day of another startled goodbye
Your hands reaching up for the clothes
On the line
I'm holding you up to reach it
Reach everything you deserve to have
But I've only had days, never
Enough for much at all, except
To link ourselves together, long enough
To love, and to break, and to never be the same
Thank you. Your rare, chosen smile, your always
Expressive eyes, little voice.
I quake to think of how I had to leave,
Never to be seen again, oh how I long
To keep you with me, teach you, love you.
I will never forget it. I burn
With the brand fashioned like your face.
And I will wear the scar with pride,
After the tears have dried and
You've (I've) cried more than you knew you could
I always knew today would be that day,
Found it somewhere in your penetrating
Stare. It's no easier to hear you laugh or cry,
And the stoicism eats away at you.
But you are something more than a child,
That soul is older than most,
And it's so there, an ultra-present reality
Screaming at you in its assured subtlety.
I am slowly falling, limb from limb
And you have no idea, no idea
How hard it is to walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment