Monday, June 27, 2011

Red Dress Alone

glancing 'round I see a full moon
pale against the dark suits of others
you are wrapped in red as if to tell me
all at once of love, of fire, and of a wound.
But my wife-to-be is cloaked in white
like your face, so pure, but there is
no hurt in this one's virgin dress
those craters lie somewhere
behind your eyes, she has none.
If not for pride, you would not set foot
in this quaint, little chapel. They would
burn you for the witch you are, licentious
and cold. Cold as the void that you filled once
now bled dry. "Because power is more than
any poor politician or capitalist could ever
dream up," you said. I can hear you
whispering that through eyes, black
with deepest hidden hate. I laughed
nervously at that then.
Now you are just a ghost of a ghost. You
haunt yourself. And I know because of
the late night calls that are silent
but for the almost concealed tear,
forming the diamond on her finger.
There is nothing left to say now.
The vows are read and I look into whole
eyes of the most warm, lacquered wood
and sigh such relief that I was right, "power
is the satisfaction I get from walking away."
She and I kiss to cheers and clapping
but it's silent to me because someone's hands
are still as death. They think this is
a funeral. Turning to look, I realize
you were never there at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment