Monday, May 9, 2011

Anxiety

I can't sleep at night
without waking to the pitter-patter
of rain on the inside of my
sternum.
The thumping is more the wish than
the fact itself.
The world is quiet then,
at 3:28,
but it is the loudest crowd in my head,
ten thousand rising screams, tearing
bits in every direction.
It is the boom of thunder shaking my
frame.

The pictures rattle on the walls of a
room,
an earthquake.
The lonely, simple chair trembles in
the center of the gray.
The voices throw the walls about
and crack the plaster
floor to ceiling.
They cry for a change and revolution, but
I'm too scared to move, too weak to
feel,
a void within a void.
And the slow beating of tears on the
roof of a room feel more comforting
than the arms and bodies.

The cries cease
At 3:28 when I wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment