Friday, August 27, 2010

Ripples

This little pebble in the palm of my hands, it is brightest red
And smiles up at me so round and perfect
It asks for nothing more than wings
A little bird begging for the flight from its mother
Mother bird bends over and whispers with softest chirp
"Open your wings little one, and just let go"
So my pebble arcs through crisp air
To be divinely inspired by a floating and brilliant idea
Midst the space of synapses
And internal wiring, just electricity and chemicals
The little birdy tumbles falling to the banjo strum
Of a bittersweet goodbye
The glass is in view of dark and cool
Watery surface with answers to the questions
The ones formulated by electrical currents
And as pebble breaks glass in the slowest of possible motions
I smile
And the pebble smiles
As the water cascades up in a little torrent
The ripples form, casting out on the curves of the brain
Consequently, the sky is raining ashes
On my bare head and into the pond
Through my private grove the gray snow
Comes ever so softly
The pebble is sinking
the little baby bird with broken wings
You'll be buried in ashen mush
And I'll have to take my leave
I don't have forever
And I think
Somewhere up there
The sky must be burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment